Signs your power steering needs service
Concerned that your power steering might need some attention? Here are some symptoms to look out for:
- Color changes in your power steering fluid: A change in power steering fluid color might mean it is beginning to oxidize. If this is the case, you'll see it's gone from red to gray to black. When that happens it's time to change it out with new, fresh fluid.
- Bubbles in your power steering fluid: If you see bubbles in your fluid, come see us quickly because you may have a potentially dangerous air leak in your power steering system.
- Leaky fluid: Because your power steering system depends on a steady, high level of steering fluid being pumped into it, a leak means a problem. It could be a couple of things, such as a hole in the pipe or a connection that's out of line.
- Difficulty Steering: Is your steering wheel harder to turn, or stuttering when you turn? These symptoms could mean your drive belt needs attention because it either is getting too hot or isn't staying in place and needs to be tightened.
- Strange Noises: If you hear a whinnying squeal when turning the steering wheel, you may have a power steering issue. These noises usually come from a worn out drive belt or a steering pump that's on its last legs. Be on the lookout for strange noises because that's one of the main ways your car is telling you something is wrong. A strange noise from your car usually means it is trying to tell you something, so it's a good idea to listen.
If you experience any of these power steering symptoms, click the button below to schedule an appointment at one of our stores.